Fell league 2017

All about the fell league
Mario2710
Aquilifer

Fell league 2017

Postby Mario2710 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:43 pm

Fell league 2016 almost over just one race to go but the final position are finalised. 2 men and 2 women are to be awarded a trophy this year. Trophy Presentation on the Lights and pie night in the Rugby bar. I will attend a meeting with the committee next Tuesday. Any ideas for the 2017 fell race? Point system ? Number of race?

creakinees
Admin

Re: Fell league 2017

Postby creakinees » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:04 pm

Any thoughts on the races for 2017 yet. Will the first one be Wolf's Pit - never managed to make that one yet but I live in hope!!

Mario2710
Aquilifer

Postby Mario2710 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:01 pm

Fell League 2017.

New rules for the 2017 league.

Runners can now enter any race in the fell running association fixture calendar. As long as you register as Long Eaton Running Club. Www.fellrunner.org.uk

Points will be awarded in % but for your age category. See Booth league for more details. 8 race to count.
This will make it more fair at the end of the year.

I will identify 8-10 races which can be good for beginners. The first race will be the Bluebell 1 in March 2017.

Happy New Year everyone.

wilko
Princeps Posterior

Postby wilko » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:26 pm

In the last post it says:

"Runners can now enter any race in the fell running association fixture calendar".

But the last sentence says:

" The first race will be the Bluebell 1 in March 2017".

By my counting, you're omitting 47 potential races from January 1st to March 4th before your named first race on March 5th. By all accounts have an end point for racing to ensure ordering and engraving of trophies near to December 2017 but considering the fell league participation is so low, surely you'd want to maximise turnout by including all possible FRA races?

You have also crucially omitted to explain the necessity of anyone at LERC running in the fell league that they must know and understand the FRA "runners' rules" - all runners in FRA registered races are expected to have read them, and to agree to comply with the requirements, as a condition of race entry - and it explicitly mentions a thorough knowledge of hypothermia. Weather conditions on British hills can make no sense - I've seen bad sunburn in February at the Long Mynd race and at the Castleton race one June two people medically treated for hypothermia.

The fell league must be more than just suggesting races suitable for beginners - it must be about embracing

wilko
Princeps Posterior

Postby wilko » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:55 pm

I'll try that again with the complete post this time!

In the last post it says:

"Runners can now enter any race in the fell running association fixture calendar".

But the last sentence says:

" The first race will be the Bluebell 1 in March 2017".

By my counting, you're omitting 47 potential races from January 1st to March 4th before your named first race on March 5th. By all accounts have an end point for racing to ensure ordering and engraving of trophies near to December 2017 but considering the fell league participation is so low, surely you'd want to maximise turnout by including all possible FRA races?

You have also crucially omitted to explain the necessity of anyone at LERC running in the fell league that they must know and understand the FRA "runners' rules" - all runners in FRA registered races are expected to have read them, and to agree to comply with the requirements, as a condition of race entry - and it explicitly mentions (a thorough knowledge of) hypothermia. Weather conditions on British hills can make no sense - I've seen bad sunburn in February at the Long Mynd race and at the Castleton race one June, two people medically treated for hypothermia.

The fell league must be more than just suggesting races suitable for beginners - it must be about embracing all the facets of fell running especially having the requisite skills to run and navigate in unfamiliar and potentially hazardous terrain in all weather eventualities and with the appropriate kit and also in being self-reliant to maintain your own and others safety (well done Amorri Vhis at Cardington sacrificing his race to help an injured runner). So called "easy races for beginners" have seen LERC runners getting lost and race marshals having to look for them such as at Ricky's Race or dropping out and then not informing officials at Bamford (this now would lead to a race ban) - these aren't isolated incidents.

Fell and hill running is a majestic sport just make sure you're fully prepared - the rules, as defined and as strict as they appear, are to keep us all safe.

pabc
Admin

Postby pabc » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:28 am

yeah - I dont get it either.

Do you mean tables will include any FRA calendar race that has a LERCer (as LERC) running but you'll suggest 8 races beginners should try?

Either way - you need to send over the rules and wording you want for the website : http://www.longeatonrunningclub.com/leagues.php#fell
Finally got time to return to the club, both virtually and physically, and I'm on the injured step.................

Mario2710
Aquilifer

Postby Mario2710 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:23 pm

The Fell league 2017 started on the 1st of January, and it will finish on the 31 of December.

The first race for the beginner will be the Bluebell 1 in March 2017.

wilko
Princeps Posterior

Postby wilko » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:09 pm

That's thrown a little more light on things.

Don't forget to put the compulsory fell runners' rules that have to be read, understood and complied with as a condition of FRA registered races on the club notice-board and probably best to send an email out providing the link to the documents on the FRA website - a good idea would be to include the other important information as well. Everyone should be reminded of these including seasoned fell runners, FRA members and especially important that new and beginning fell runners know all the rules and information before they consider any fell race.

Let me know if you need any help with any of this.

Rach_L_T
Discens

Postby Rach_L_T » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi all

I know the FRA do nav courses but I thought this was worth a share. Myself and Elizabeth have booked on to the intermediate course in Grindleford at the end of April.

https://peakdistrict.cinolla.com/ranger ... n-training

wilko
Princeps Posterior

Postby wilko » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:33 am

That sounds perfect. If you can get hold of any of the Fell runner magazine articles (2 in successive magazines - I'll see if I can find mine) on navigation by Ian Winterburn - they're well illustrated and very readable. I'll post here if I locate them.

Rich Wilkinson

Return to “Fell League”