British Fell Relay Championships 2018

Like it hilly? Discuss your affliction in here.
wilko
Princeps Posterior

British Fell Relay Championships 2018

Postby wilko » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:19 pm

Hello All

LERC haven't entered a team in the British Fell Relay Championships since 2011. This year the event is on October 20th and the location is Grasmere in the Lake District. The event details can be found at:

https://britishfellrelays2018.org.uk

Whilst I'm not 1st claim fell for LERC I would organise a LERC team(s) much in the same way that fellow Dark Peaker Phil Walters did about 10 years ago.

I've been fortunate enough to run in 5 British Fell Relay Championships and every one holds great memories for me and the atmosphere at them is unique and something everyone that loves the fells and fell running should experience.

If you have completed 2 category A fell races and are interested in running in the relays 2018, then please read all the info in the link above and then post a reply in this thread.

Please could someone copy and paste this post into Facebook but could all replies be posted to this LERC website thread and not to Facebook.

The team of 6 cost is £105 but rises to £120 after September 20th so replies before August 31st would be helpful.

Yours in sport,

Dicky Wilkinson

Rach_L_T
Discens

Re: British Fell Relay Championships 2018

Postby Rach_L_T » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:15 am

Grasmere, how lovely. I'm afraid I can't make it but I have posted the details to Facebook and asked them to reply here.

Rach Toplis

wilko
Princeps Posterior

Postby wilko » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks for that Rach.

There is a mixed team option of 3 men and 3 women.

creakinees
Admin

Postby creakinees » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:16 pm

Good luck with this one Dicky, always was a good event and would be great to see the club feature alongside the big fell clubs again. Unfortunately I'm not up to it - don't think I've done an A race this year - but might come up to support if we get a team entered.

doobriebobbins
Imaginifer

Postby doobriebobbins » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Ah, I'd love to take part but I only started running again in March and I'm not sure I'll get 2 A races done in time, particularly as I'm off to do the GR20 in a few weeks time. I'd definitely be interested for next year though

Will Chang
aka Will

wilko
Princeps Posterior

Postby wilko » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:39 pm

If you're doing the GR20 Will you'll be proper fit and you just need to squeeze a couple of short sharp A's in!

The results of the 2008 British fell relay champs in the Clwydian hills and that don’t seem to be on the LERC or even the Fellrunner website are:

41st overall 4:21:42

Leg 1 Andy MacNeil 45:15 team position 21st

Leg 2 Andy Colgate and Ian Adkin 1:34:04 76th

Leg 3 Navigation Glen Coleman and Rich Wilkinson 1:14:53 45th

Leg 4 Rod Harris 47:30 41st

Rach_L_T
Discens

Postby Rach_L_T » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:51 pm

Hi Dicky

A message from Ellie I've received via Facebook...

"I have no idea what my username or password are for the forum, I think I’ve requested a reminder at least twice before so a little embarrassed to ask again. Hence why replying here. Anyway, I’m potentially interested in the relays if others are keen. I’ve only done 1 ‘A’ race this year but by next Sunday I’ll have hopefully done 2. If there is a mixed team or ladies team I’m happy to join in. If no one else is keen, happy to wait until next year & see if we can get a team out. Ellie"

Rach_L_T
Discens

Postby Rach_L_T » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:03 am

Hi Dicky

Is there a timeframe as to when the 2 Cat A fell races were completed? Matt Hooton might be interested.

Kind regards

Rach

paul.lewis
Tirones

Postby paul.lewis » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:33 pm

I'd be interested! (I'm not now going to be in Germany at the time). I think the Exterminator, at the weekend, coupled with Doctors Gate, earlier in the year, will give me my two Cat A races too...
Paul Lewis.

No - not THAT Paul Lewis... The NEW one. You know; the slow one. No - not nearly as fast as the OLD one

wilko
Princeps Posterior

Postby wilko » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:50 pm

Hello all. You need to have completed 2 A category races on race entry being submitted. Hopefully you will have looked at the maps and route info in the link in the earlier post. The leg routes are not to be underestimated:

Leg 1 and 2 are partially flagged; the leg 3 navigation leg is not flagged at all and you're given a map literally as you leave the start after tagging leg 2 runners and you choose your route to the controls; and leg 3 is fully flagged. A 2500 foot climb in good autumn weather on Lakeland fells is wonderful but with the clag down to 10m visibility in rough underfoot conditions you have to be sure of your map and compass skills - if you're confident of those and there are 6 of you then off we go!

Teams must be either 6 men, 6 women or mixed of 3 men and 3 women.

As for not being able to register to post on the forum, one of the committee should be able to assist you with that one.

Cheers, Dicky

wilko
Princeps Posterior

Postby wilko » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:36 pm

Those 2 A category races should really be current ie from 2018 or at least within a year of the relays race date.

As for registering to post on the forum, at the head of the home page under the Long Eaton banner is Login / Registration and you could try again from there or from there click on the contact us button for help.

Or could anyone on the committee help Ellie to access the forum and submit posts?

Thanks, Dicky

wilko
Princeps Posterior

Postby wilko » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:42 am

It's looking like a LERC team for the relays is unlikely in 2018 but hopefully this thread might serve to generate some interest and forward planning to compete in 2019.

One thing to bear in mind and mentioned in this year's information about the relays is the level of skill required for the event. This year at Grasmere the routes are all true mountain terrain with very steep ascents and descents, rocky paths and some off-piste lines contrasting with other years where conditions are less demanding underfoot and navigation-wise.

Runners are expected to have completed 2 recent A category races and be competent in the rigours of all weather fell running and the team captain has to be confident in the abilities of those that take part. In this year's info there is a note about time expectations for the running of the legs. It doesn't actually say slow runners shouldn't take part (but some might construe what is mentioned as being elite but the truth probably lies closest to pragmatic considerations) but the organisers have a duty of care to the marshalls (in addition to the runners) on the hill checkpoints that will be out in all conditions for many (possibly up to 7 or more ) hours. There is a time limit for leg 3 navigation pairs and below this time leg 4 runners tag and complete the relay in real time; after this time all leg 4 runners are then sent off on a mass start and so potentially a team's leg 4 runner is on the course while their team mates on leg 3 are also still running and team times are then calculated on cumulative leg 3 and 4 times. The winning teams are back in extraordinary times and even with presentations late in the day, in 2011 it was moved back twice because teams were still out on the course long after the winner's race had finished. This is all generally taken in good humour and spirits on the day but if it occurred in very poor weather conditions and in the event of a team being out on the fells for a long time posing a risk to themselves and others and if it was found to be as a result of lack of ability and skills, this could reflect badly on a club and a dim view might be taken of this by the championships organisers. But things go wrong for even the best prepared - in 2009 at Ennerdale and in poor conditions, the first 3 finishing teams of some of the best fell runners around were all disqualified along with many other teams, including a LERC team, because controls couldn't be found on a tough course in wild weather.

These comments aren't meant to put a LERC team off but merely to set out requirements and galvanise interest and to make preparations for taking part in the fell relays in 2019. A year to prepare starts now by a show of who within the club might want to take part next year to see if it's feasible to get teams for the men, women or a mixed team and then set out a proper plan in place and to be in the best position to enter the relays next year.

Please could you register an interest for the 2019 relays (not on Facebook but here and please direct any interested others to this page) by posting in this thread.

Yours in sport, Dicky Wilkinson

Return to “Fell and Off Road”